nataliya

nataliya

“Books are a uniquely portable magic.”
― Stephen King, On Writing.

Nataliya's quotes

Love Story - Erich Segal "Love means never having to say you're sorry" is probably among some of the most ridiculous statements ever. ....... Luckily it's a rare blemish on a simple but beautiful story. Plus it's cheesy, corny, and insanely quotable, so I'll have to give it a pass on that. A girl and a boy meet and fall in love. Jenny is a poor artistic sorta-Catholic Radcliffe-educated Italian-American brainiac with a razor-sharp tongue. Oliver is a rich WASPy Harvard "Preppy" jock with a slew of Daddy issues and a Roman numeral after his name. They fall in love despite the huge social gap between them. Few more Daddy issues ensue, a fight or two happens, the cheesy phrase (see above) is uttered to my sheer mortification. They may or may not name their future kid Bozo the Clown. Then Jenny dies *gasp*. And I bawl my eyes out. No worries, no spoiler tags were needed. We are warned about her death in the very first (and famous) paragraph. "What can you say about a twenty-five-year-old girl who died? That she was beautiful and brilliant. That she loved Mozart and Bach. The Beatles. And me." We know about Jenny's death from the start, and it is a true testament to Segal's brilliant characterization and narrative skills that her death still hits home, still leaves all but the most heartless readers a bawling blob of tears and snot. It did so for me, and I am a self-proclaimed cold-hearted cynic.This book is written in a fresh and honest voice. The characters feel truly alive. It is beautiful, simple, short and funny. It is sweet and touching but not overly melodramatic. It is a quintessential love story and is fully worth the few well-spent reading hours. I've read it several times since age 12, and every time it melts my stony callousy heart. "What the hell makes you so smart?" I asked."I wouldn't go for coffee with you," she answered."Listen - I wouldn't ask you.""That," she replied, "is what makes you stupid."