nataliya

nataliya

“Books are a uniquely portable magic.”
― Stephen King, On Writing.

Nataliya's quotes

Hush, Hush - Becca Fitzpatrick I read this ON A DARE (a double-dog one, if you must know). And now I want to look it in the eye and ask - REALLY, BOOK? REALLY? Because it doesn't just cross the line into the uncomfortably creepy territory - it takes a cosmic leap over it.Hush, Hush may have the dubious distinction of being the worst book I've ever read. (I assumed it's a book since that's what you'd call a bunch of printed and bound pages, but I'm really applying the term 'book' loosely here). Yes, I know I'm not the intended audience, but should terribly written books that can only aspire to reach the same literary heights as the word-of-the-day toilet paper even HAVE a target audience??? Yes, I'm being harsh. But I'm also being honest. Let me give you a sample of my complaints (all of them would be longer than the allowed review space).This book reads as though someone read Twilight, appreciated the obviously marketable and profitable premise, and decided to rewrite it in an "edgier" way - which boiled down to clumsily asking a question, "What did Twilight lack?" and coming up with the answer, "Sexual creepiness bordering on sexual harrassment. That's it. LLLLLLadies."Meet Nora Grey, an 'average' high-schooler who meets a mysterious boy Patch in biology. By the way, my (future hypothetical) daughter will not be allowed to take high school biology since that's where all potential supernatural creeps appear to lurk, looking for gullible teenage-girl prey. The boy acts like a total jerk to her, and his sleazy innuendos are alarming and appalling but not charming or witty or sexy. The natural things to do would be: (a) tell him off, (b) tell the school officials, and (c) call the police if the d-bag does not stop harrassing you. Instead, Nora Grey decides to madly fall in love with the jerk. (*)* Dear teenage girls! "He hates me - therefore it means he loves me" approach does not work in real life. While we're at it - PEOPLE WANTING TO KILL YOU IS NOT SEXY EITHER. Dear YA authors, please stop perpetuating this idiocy. Patch is a fallen angel (no spoilers, it was stated on page one or so) with a dark past. But basically he is an entitled arrogant jerk who appears to take immense pleasure in publicly humiliating Nora, physically forcing himself on her, physically intimidating her, ignoring her wishes, and gloating in his dripping douchebaggery approach while nearly sexually assaulting her in front of the class. “I make you uneasy?” he asks. The proper answer would be to scream, "YES! NOW BACK AWAY!!!!"** **But for some inexplicable reason Nora is in love with the creep. For some inexplicable reason, his appalling behavior is presented as alluring and seductive. For some inexplicable reason, he is presented as a "dark and dangerous" man of every girl's dream. WHYYYYYYYYYYY????? Oh nevermind, here's the answer: "Yes, actually, he had that effect on me. He also had the tendency to wipe all logical thought from my mind.""My brain couldn’t process one logical thought."This may explain why we get pages and pages of this incoherent lovestruck bumbling masquerading as a book! Mystery solved, my job here is done.**********************************While I'm on the soapbox, let me say this - STALKING IS NOT SEXY. STALKING IS NOT OKAY. STALKING IS NOT LOVE. VIOLATING PRIVACY IS NOT LOVE EITHER and should result in a restraining order You see, our wonderful Nora thinks it's perfectly okay to learn about the mysterious new boy by breaking into the students' records office to look at the confidential file (she does it by calling in a bomb threat - which is (a) awful, (b) promptly forgotten about and never followed up on), and spying at him at work, snooping for information from his coworkers. I hate the message this book is sending.***********************************I hate punctuation abuse. It's innocent, so stop torturing it. Please... leave... the... faux-dramatic-pause ... ellipses ... in ... your... fanfiction... please. Unless you're paid for each ellipsis used. End... the... ellipses... abuse...... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ***************************What is up with the sloppy writing that assumes describing small insignificant and frankly boring details adds anything to the story? Why am I subjected to the endless details of what exactly the characters are ordering in a Mexican restaurant, what the specials are, and how long it takes a waitress to bring the order? Why should I care? Why do I need to know the details of the bra design that the girls are shopping for? How exactly does that enrich the story? Please stop the filler. It's awful.*****************************Hey, what with not having the slightest trust in the readers' ability to figure things out? What's with the dropping of anvil-sized hints every few pages? What happened to simple foreshadowing? Patch's identity, the villain's identity, Nora's identity - we can figure it out without the author SCREAMING hints into our faces. Really. Trust me.*****************************But in the end, despite the awfulness, I cannot be upset at Nora - mainly because I'm really worried about that girl's health. Here's why:"My heart fumbled a beat [...]""My heartbeat turned erratic, and I told myself to pull it together.""My heart did an unexpected flip, startled by his bizarrely attractive smile."Nora, you know what you need instead of a creepy boyfriend? A cardiology consult. Your heart sounds unhealthy to me.-----------------------------------Terrible book with lackluster annoying characters, ridiculous plot, and bad writing, but with overabundance of creepiness. 1 star because that's the lowest rating I can give. Reading it was a miserable experience.-----------4.0 rating on Goodreads? Really? Sometimes I really wonder whether I'm reading the same book as everyone else.