nataliya

nataliya

“Books are a uniquely portable magic.”
― Stephen King, On Writing.

Nataliya's quotes

Dream Cat - Kat Lowe OH-kay. The teenage heroine actually says, "AW HECK" and plays chess with her significant other (who looks like James Bond. In denim). No, Dream Cat has (thankfully) ZERO in common with "Twilight", but I still reserve the right to post these: AND ***********************************************INTERLUDE: Extra! Extra! From the author herself - a great summary of what she was trying to accomplish in this book. Love it! -----------------------------------------------------------------------Back to (kinda) serious now. The misleading cover makes it seem that this book is for preschool-age children. However, this is a YA/adventure story of an 18-year-old Elizabeth who discovers that she is an Argonaut meant to balance the world against the demons sent by Lucifer. Oh yeah, and she is the reincarnation of the dearly beloved and awesome Viking-Argonaut Thorkell (*). And she meets Lucifer (**), who is kinda awesome in a detached cool way. Oh, and did I mention that she has enough superpowers for an entire Marvel comic universe - and they don't seem to baffle her much? And that her Grandma gets it on with - drumroll! - Achilles? (***) * I wonder if that will eventually make it awkward between her and her Argonaut-mate Andrew at all.** Lucifer is my favorite character. Hey, don't judge - I have a known weakness for sympathetic devil characters (The Master and Margarita is my favorite book, after all). -------------------------------------------------------- Clearly, tweed is EEEEEE-VIL. -------------------------------------------------------- *** "Wasn't Achilles a terrible womanizer?" Aw heck. I don't know, Elizabeth. Ask Patroclus. What I liked most about this book (besides tweed-y Lucifer) is the writing and style. Kat Lowe has a really good grasp of language, and her writing seems effortless and natural. It's simple and flows well. The tone is very tongue-in-cheek, sassy, and humorous. The dialogue has some very funny moments. And she correctly uses the word "nonplussed" (so frequently misused that it hurts). Some examples of what I liked: "Catching an STD doesn't excuse serial killing.""A frazzled woman stood against the back wall with a toddler barnacled to her leg.""Let me guess. I'm supposed to pull those doohickeys off that grumpy cow." Now pacing. Oh, the pacing... To say the story doesn't drag is an underestimation. The storyline of Dream Cat actually flies at the speed of light, barely pausing to take a breath. Within just a few pages, for instance, Elizabeth fights a demon-bear, learns about her destiny, meets her partner-Argonaut, trains, elopes, and is whisked away to Europe. - The good about this approach is that there is not a single moment of filler. No endless exposition or ruminations, no pile-up of backstory, no endless descriptions. It's just the story, rushing along without any pause, with so much of it happening in a dialogue. To a point, it's actually refreshing. - The flip side of this breakneck pace is that sometimes I felt that I needed to stop and flip back to previous pages to (a) make sure I did not blink and miss anything, and (b) to make sure that my copy of the story did not have missing pages. This breakneck pace results in a rather minimalistic approach to filling in thoughts, motivations, and explanations. This approach works well for the character of Lucifer, yes. But there is little room for character development or Elizabeth's reflections on anything that's happening to her (and those are some pretty life-changing things). It's like she doesn't even have time to think in between being whisked yet to another adventure/training session (*)* Elizabeth fares rather well in her training, despite no martial arts background. I decided to let this slide - if she is the most kickass superhero Viking Argonaut reincarnated, she has a right to be cooler than average. As a result of brisk speed and minimalist approach to characterization, Elizabeth seems to (surprisingly) easily go along with the major changes that happen in her life. She takes everything in a very matter-of-fact way - like if she were in a dream. On the other hand, given how easily her mother and grandmother accept the weirdness around them, I can see where she gets that from.----------------------------------------------------------------Overall, I did enjoy this book - a bunch of weird occurrences that just wait for you to go along with the ride. And I was in the mood for something light. 3.5 stars: 5 stars for language and cute tongue-in-cheek-ness, 3-ish stars for pacing and characterization. I eyerolled quite a lot, but I giggled quite a bit too. Rounding up to 4 stars for my enjoyment of Lucifer interludes and mentioning of Giardia diarhhea outside of biology textbook. Good first effort.