nataliya

nataliya

“Books are a uniquely portable magic.”
― Stephen King, On Writing.

Nataliya's quotes

Covehithe - China Miéville,  Jewel Samad Leave it to the master of weird China Miéville to create a strange but magical story of revenant oil-rigs, the "petrospectral presences", single-mindedly setting out from the depths of the ocean like enormous mechanical turtles. -------------------------------------------------------------------------This story is available free on the Guardian website. I'm asking the awesome person who sent me the link to come forward - I want to give credit where it's due, but I can't remember who you were. Thanks so much! EDIT: It was Jacob! Thank you so much! You are awesome.-------------------------------------------------------------------------A strange and unexplained mystery slowly builds up and unveils itself, leaving the reader with more questions than answers about the event they see. And this is one of the things I love - the masterful way to leave the reader wanting more, wanting answers, but receiving a strange unexplained and fascinating tale that is wonderful because it just happens, with no reason why; it's just is.The sea at its base spread flat and fell away from suddenly rising intricate blockness, black, angled and extrusioned. Miéville's language, as usual, is getting a special fangirl mention from me. It's a bit simpler than in the Bas-Lag books that I've read, but still, even in this very short story, you can easily sense the sheer delight he has in playing with language, even poking some fun at his habit: "This close to the waves the land felt, as the girl said, misbehavicious. A good word to make her feel better."In the glow of the thing's own flame they saw edificial flanks, the concrete and rust of them, the iron of the pylon barnacled, shaggy with benthic growth now lank gelatinous bunting.------------------------------------------------------------------------4 stars. At this point Miéville can write a toothpaste ad, and I will still read it without any hesitation. ------------------------------------------------------------------------Dughan turned and took in the length of Covehithe Beach. They were out of sight, but he looked in the direction of the graveyard, and of St Andrew’s stubby hall where services continued within the medieval carapace, remains of a grander church fallen apart to time and the civil war and to economics, fallen ultimately with permission.By the way, here is the real-life Covehithe - with the road crumbling into the sea and the old church, mentioned in this story. Thanks, Wikipedia!***