nataliya

nataliya

“Books are a uniquely portable magic.”
― Stephen King, On Writing.

Nataliya's quotes

The Rope is the World - China Miéville I like to (conceitedly) imagine that China Miéville somehow, through a time loop, read my comment that at this point I'd happily read ANYTHING that he writes including and not limited to toothpaste ads, and in response to that came up with The Rope is the World, publishing it in Icon Magazine which self-describes as "one of the world's finest architecture and design magazines." And yes, I loved every word of it, even though it is very different from the stories that I'm used to reading. Well, at this point I did not expect anything else."The Earth is a thin-spoked wheel. Its spokes are irregularly spaced: we must look like the plucked remnants of some bicycle ridden by a ragged girl or boy. But only to God."This is a very short story about space elevators, available free, by the way, on the ICON magazine website. That's right, space elevators. It does not have a traditional plot or a real closure. It is a journalistic-column-in-an-arhitecture-magazine-style description and at the same time a glimpse into what can be a beginning of an awesome sci-fi/dystopian story. This is a story about the building of space elevators that turned Earth into "an irregularly spoked wheel". This is the story about dreams of progress that these colossal structures symbolized. This is the story about the failing of that dream, and the transformation of the enormous edifices into museums and ghost-cities. It is a story that makes you want more, makes you want to see what is happening in the world Miéville so quickly and easily sketches into being. (Ummmmm, Mr. Miéville - if you do decide to expand the story I'll be the first in line to buy it!)-----------------------------------------------------------------------It's different than your "usual" read, this architecture/sci-fi blend. And it convinced me that yes, I WILL read anything Miéville writes - because somehow his writing just strikes the perfect chord with me.-----------------------------------------------------------------------"You do not know how they live, those on the levels where people still live, those of the 1,200,000 floors of the Rope. These were isolated communities before you or your parents were born. We have only travellers’ stories. You don’t know what languages they speak, what they make or learn, to what they pray, what stories they tell their children as they look out of the portholes or call up external camfeeds on the Isabela Tower, Freedom Tower, and stare up at space, or down the perspective line of their shaft towards Earth as lifts full of foreign cargo rise and fall through their territories; how they mark it when those they love die; or if they are there at all, those people for whom the Rope is the world. The Rope is the world."