nataliya

nataliya

“Books are a uniquely portable magic.”
― Stephen King, On Writing.

Nataliya's quotes

The Most Dangerous Game - Richard Connell My favorite part of this 1924 story was a brief but satisfying cameo appearance by BORSCH, as in "the rich, red soup with whipped cream so dear to Russian palates". Excuse me for a second while I salivate. "Great sport, hunting.""The best sport in the world," agreed Rainsford."For the hunter," amended Whitney. "Not for the jaguar." Rainsford is a hunter who (very conveniently for the plot purposes of this very compact story) utters statements such as, "The world is made up of two classes—the hunters and the huntees. Luckily, you and I are hunters." Just a few pages later, having fallen off his yacht, he comes across a depraved Russian emigree General Zaroff. The two man share a common passion - hunting. What they don't share is the idea that Rainsford should become prey in Zaroff's boredom-induced hunting game on a secluded tropical island. Rainsford, as you can imagine, is not too thrilled. "Life is for the strong, to be lived by the strong, and, if needs be, taken by the strong. The weak of the world were put here to give the strong pleasure. I am strong. Why should I not use my gift? If I wish to hunt, why should I not?" The strength of the story is the antagonist. General Zaroff is a perfect villain - gentlemanly calm, brutal, sociopatically-pleasant, competent, and rather sinister in his almost-supernatural hunter skill. His attitude towards his cat-and-mouse hunting game with his prisoners is effectively chilling. This story of murder/hunt for entertainment sake may have inspired The Running Man, Battle Royale or The Hunger Games. It aged well despite being almost 90 years old (spiffy Grandpa!). The story is well-written, quick and short (only 48 pages) and has a non-contrived logical and satisfying (even if predictable) ending. He had never slept in a better bed, Rainsford decided.