nataliya

nataliya

“Books are a uniquely portable magic.”
― Stephen King, On Writing.

Nataliya's quotes

Coraline - Neil Gaiman Coraline is a short but delightfully dark and creepy book that just happens to feature one of my absolute favorite characters. Is it wrong that I want to be Coraline's best friend??? “Because,' she said, 'when you're scared but you still do it anyway, that's brave.” Coraline is clever, quirky, curious and adventurous, brave and determined, independent, stubborn to no end, a bit reckless and not scared of danger. She will NEVER leave any mysterious doors locked and uninvestigated. In short, she is what I hope my future (hypothetical) daughter is going to be like. Out of boredom due to rainy days and parental inattention, Coraline sets out on a scary but awesome adventure. She bites off (almost) more than she can chew, but comes out of it a winner and just a bit more grown-up and mature (but luckily not in a dreadful moralistic way). "Nothing’s changed. You’ll go home. You’ll be bored. You’ll be ignored. No one will listen to you, really listen to you. You’re too clever and too quiet for them to understand. They don’t even get your name right." The story is intense and sinister, and yet really fun. With his dark fairy-tales Coraline and The Graveyard Book, Gaiman proves that he has mastered the art of writing perfect non-condescending children's books that also appeal to adults. He is not afraid of making a kids' book scary; he knows kids can handle it quite well. The "Other" world he creates is eerie and surreal, with a dreamlike quality - the kind of dream from which you wake up screaming. But the story is also full of humor and has the Cat!....... ............I guess I have a weakness for amazing book-cats (it must be the Alice in Wonderland influence on my young pliable mind back in 1980s). I adore the wisdom, independence, and a bit of condescending attitude they give humans. "We... we could be friends, you know," said Coraline."We COULD be rare specimens of an exotic breed of African dancing elephants," said the cat. "But we're not. At least," it added cattily, after darting a brief look at Coraline, "I'M not." -----------The language of the book is simple and sparing, and fits the story perfectly. Coraline is one of the books that are just meant to be read aloud. Overall, a great story that fully deserves the 5-star rating.